How Interior Design Can Make Your Cheap Kitchen Pop
You don’t need to spend a fortune to create a beautiful, classy kitchen. We’ve posted previously about creating a quality cheap kitchen by substituting materials and opting for all in-one-design. Now we’ll talk about how you can add that extra element of style, sophistication and character to your kitchen using simple, affordable interior design ideas.
Below we’ll explore:
- Affordable ways to transform old appliances
- How to use accessories to boost your kitchen’s style
- The value of statement furniture
Affordable Design Hacks to Give Old Appliances New Life
Hate the look of your old, cheap kitchen appliances? Not a problem. Nowadays, there are super affordable ways to update your appliances without replacing them:
- Vinyl – if you want to give your appliances a complete makeover, custom-designed vinyl can look amazing. Vinyl overlay produces a stylish, unique effect for far less cost than upgrading major appliances.
- Paint – did you know you can buy specialised paints to change the colour of your old fridge or stove? Check out this DIY job on a regular run-of-the-mill silver fridge.
- Stainless steel look – cheap kitchens don’t normally feature gorgeous, stainless steel appliances do they? Fortunately, nowadays you can actually buy liquid stainless steel paint. Make sure you check the paint is a suitable match for the surface type before you start work.
Cheap Kitchens can Look Ultra Luxe with Stylish Accessories
An easy way to glam up a basic, no-frills kitchen is through the clever inclusion of accessories. Here’s a couple of our top accessorising tips that won’t break the bank:
- Lighting – an eye-catching light pendant can instantly give your kitchen extra sparkle. Try shopping around on eBay or Gumtree for a second-hand, affordable design that suits your taste.
- Cabinet Hardware – your cabinetry might be simple, but adding statement hardware can boost it like nothing else. Again you can find extremely affordable options on sites like eBay, plus one-of-a-kind products on sites like Etsy. If you’re into funky printed ceramics, terrazzo, brass fittings, or even leather loop handles for a distinctive look, Etsy might just be the place for you.
- Art and Ornamentation – there are endless ways to spice up your kitchen with small affordable artworks. Perhaps purchase an eye-catching print series/modern art piece, or a row of vintage ceramic/metal food storage jars? You’d be surprised once you start looking, how many beautiful designs exist for something so simple as even a fruit bowl.
Splash out on Statement Kitchen Furniture
There’s nothing like tacky, dated or cheap kitchen furniture to prevent your kitchen looking its best. If you’ve saved thousands by installing a cheap kitchen, consider forking out a few dollars for a couple of statement furniture items that will make the space pop. Here’s a couple of our favourite items:
- Stools – the humble benchtop stool needn’t be boring. Styles abound to complement any kitchen benchtop, from Victorian to retro to modern Scandi design. Second-hand sites like eBay and Gumtree are your friends once again and can offer you a smorgasbord of choices. If you have chairs in mind before your kitchen revamp, ask our Express Kitchens, designer about the best benchtop options to accompany them.
- Wine cabinets – cheap kitchens don’t look so cheap when there are sophisticated drinks on display. A classy stand-alone wine cabinet can elevate your kitchen space and, be a work-of-art in and of itself.
- Cosy armchairs – If you’ve opted for a no-frills kitchen, and you have the room for it, a cosy armchair in the space separating the kitchen and dining areas can add a homey, welcoming touch. If you buy a second-hand chair, you can easily conceal flaws in the fabric with a throw or small, elegant cushions.
LOOKING FOR AN AFFORDABLE KITCHEN?
FREECALL 1800 675 605 OR CONTACT US ONLINE