Does Your Brisbane Kitchen
Need a Butler’s Pantry?
Do you remember the butler’s pantry? While originally designed to store food and crockery, the increasing sophistication of food storage technology saw the butler’s pantry reduced to the kitchen pantry as we know it today. Read on to learn more about the butler’s pantry, including:
- What is a butler’s pantry?
- Is it new to Brisbane kitchens?
- Benefits of installing a butler’s pantry
- Get a customised design for your kitchen
What is a Butler’s Pantry?
The concept of a pantry dates back to medieval times, where various rooms within a castle (or other large dwelling) were dedicated to the storage of food and other supplies pertaining to the kitchen. The butler’s pantry originated in the mid 1800s to 1900s, where wealthier households would employ a butler. The butler’s duties included:
- General household management
- Managing the pantry
- Stocking and storing food
- Overseeing the preparation and serving of food
- Even sleeping in the pantry to protect the silverware!
Butler’s pantries went on to become a popular addition to middle-class homes – without the butler and serving staff.
What Happened to the Butler’s Pantry?
The mid 1950s saw a shift in society’s habits around the preparation and storage of food, due to a combination of:
- Prepared Food | Increased availability of ready-to-eat food options
- Better Storage | Improved storage methods of refrigeration and freezing
This resulted in the butler’s pantry becoming an unnecessary use of space in the home, and to disappear from homes over time, in favour of the smaller pantry common in today’s kitchens in Brisbane and elsewhere.
Is Being a Butler Still a Job?
Yes! Where there are wealthy homeowners, there are butlers. According to an article in the South China Morning Post, skilled butlers are in high demand. And, if you think being a butler won’t pay well? Think again! The highest paid butler in the world earns a salary of USD $2.2 million dollars a year.
Are Butler’s Pantries a New Concept to Brisbane Kitchens?
While Brisbane was initially established as a penal colony, it was opened to free settlers from 1838. As such, of the housing built from this point up until the early 1900s, many Brisbane homes and kitchens would likely have included a butler’s pantry.
Now, more than half a century later, the butler’s kitchen is back in vogue – and considered to be one of the top kitchen trends to invest in for 2019.
How Will a Butler’s Pantry Benefit My Brisbane Kitchen?
One of the main reasons why the butler’s pantry is making waves again, is that the way we are living in and designing houses has changed. Open-plan living has caused a blending between two historically separate rooms: the kitchen, and the living / dining room.
No longer tucked away out of sight, kitchens of today are arguably the most inhabited room in any home. Here are some of the key benefits a butler’s pantry will bring to your kitchen:
- A Home For Your Kitchen Appliances | No more benchtops filled with clutter. Embrace the sleek lines and flow of spacious, clear benches – especially when entertaining!
- Extra Storage Space | A great place to store your food, as well as excess glassware and crockery. Lack of space will be a thing of the past!
- Dedicated Area for Meal Prep | If you love to host dinner parties, but not making a mess of your kitchen in front of guests, a butler’s pantry provides additional space for nitty gritty of meal prep.
What Brisbane Provider Can Design a Butler’s Pantry for my Kitchen?
Ready to take your Brisbane kitchen to the next level of comfort, convenience, and style? No need to shop for a generic product when Express Kitchens Brisbane can custom design the perfect butler’s kitchen to suit your space. Looking for a complete kitchen renovation? We do that too! Our services include:
- Free 1-Hour Consultation
- 3D Custom Kitchen Designs
- 1-Day Complete Installation
- Interest-Free Finance Options
TO DISCUSS YOUR NEW CUSTOM-DESIGNED KITCHEN
FREECALL 1800 675 605 OR CONTACT US ONLINE